Parking and Transportation Committee Meeting Agenda
Friday, April 5, 2019
West Campus Transportation Center, room 220
- Meeting Minutes Review and Approval, 3/8/19
- Last meeting of the semester
- Bicycle Donation update
- Bike share update
- Hawk Lot Constituent Feedback
- SafeRide service change proposal
- Commuter Programs Marketing, Unpark Yourself
- E-Scooters, committee recommendation moving forward
Parking and Transportation Committee
Members Present: Armando Duarte, John Fuller, Kris Halter, Jessie Hinrichs, June Tai, Austin Wu, Kevin Zihlman
Staff/Others Present: Brian McClatchey, Michelle Ribble, Erin Shane, Debby Zumbach and Carrie Brus
Members/Staff Absent: Eden Dewald, Ioannis Koutsonkolis and Gustave Stewart
Meeting Minutes were approved as submitted
• Previously linked with Bike Share
• Received inquiries, pressure
• Need to be prepared
• Legislation—Senate Study Bill 1024
• UI asked for age limitations, own policies drafted on campus
What are other communities doing?
• Majority are allowing them
• Ride in the bike lanes, not on the sidewalk
• Iowa State - Moratorium until they can review policies in the fall
• Oregon-ban on rented electric scooters
• Students already have personal e-scooters on campus
• Oblivious to surroundings
• Distractions (texting, headphones)
• No long-term maintenance plan
• Clutter issue
• Placement on campus; some are just tossed everywhere
• Inhibit use of CAMBUS
• Is it just a fad?
• Interaction with pedestrians
• Do we have the transportation infrastructure to support e-scooters?
• Concern for a vendor just bringing them to campus
• Safety issues amongst transit operators especially about e-scooters; not so much about e-bicycles
• We are a more open campus than some of these examples of other schools
• Need to have regulations for privately-issued e-scooters even if we don’t have a vendor on campus
• Would they help reduce parking demand?
• How to handle e-scooters?
• How long will these vendors exist for?
• How to handle the vendors?
• Dismount zones
• Space issue for where they would even park
• Parking at bicycle racks; keep them orderly
• Costs of regulating differently than bikes (i.e. additional signage and enforcement)
City of Iowa City
• Possible ordinances to handle personal e-scooters already here
• What does the City plan to do?
• Would be difficult if we decide to do something different
• Critical that the University and City are in lock step in all things e-scooter. Our issues are their issues.
• How should e-bicycles be treated?
• Bicycles vs mopeds?
• Better for commuting?
• More support for e-bicycles
• Public Safety will need to weigh in
• How would enforcement even work?
• Enforcement, same or different for bikes, e-bicycles, and e-scooters?
• For bikes, UIPD issues violations for operating regulations while P&T issues violations for parking issues
• Should regulations for bikes be reconsidered on campus sidewalks?
Group discussed the possibility of putting a motion out there
• Some ideas brought forth during discussion
• The issues seem to outweigh the benefits
• Not desirable
• What does a ban look like?
• How to implement a ban on commercial vs personal issued e-scooters?
• Indefinite ban on campus for e-scooters?
• Indefinite ban on companies for sure
• Some support for a complete ban; no distinction between personal and commercial
• Some support for what Oregon has put forth
• Motion to ban commercial e-scooters on campus property in order for University to develop appropriate response, regulations and policies for e-scooters
Hawk Lot Constituent Feedback
• A customer contacted a member of this committee with some concerns with Hawkeye Commuter Lot
• Bad winter waiting for CAMBUS to arrive
• No restroom option
• Bongo, timeliness of buses
• Need for trash cans
• Comments from the group related to these concerns
• Building a new shelter at Hawk Lot; significant improvement to this location
• Restrooms are cost prohibitive at this location
• Reduction of trash cans on campus
• Going to add trash cans at Hawkeye Commuter, Finkbine Commuter and Arena Commuter Lot
• Looking into recycling as well within a few weeks
• Might want to include some level of instruction on what can go in each container
• Need to look into feedback further
• Improvements have been made with predictions
• Look at the map vs the predictions
• Talking with Synchromatics about using a different app
• For trip planning, Google Transit is an option
• CityMapper and Moovit—other apps members use
• Awareness campaign that will re-brand the options
• Marketing phase now
• Action phase is next
• Interaction on social media; want to start conversations with people
• Something new for Parking and Transportation
• Goal is to have visibility
• Need to promote our services
• We can provide some direction for students or employees about what option makes sense
• Presence at New Employee Orientation and Freshman Orientation
Bike Share Update
• City negotiations broke down; walked away from the table
• Looking at some new vendors
• Any future contract will come down to the details
• Changing so fast
Bicycle Donation Update
• Recommendation--Bicycle Repair Station near Catlett Hall
• Sitting with the Foundation right now
CAMBUS SafeRide Service Proposal
• Late night service on Friday and Saturday nights until about 2:15am during the Academic Year
• Ridership is down
• Some reasons could be Uber, Lyft, expansion of the Nite Ride service, the 21-ordinance in Iowa City
• Change to Interdorm Route vs Red and Blue Route
• Interdorm route would increase frequency and is more familiar to students
• Newton Road/Hancher area would be a population excluded by this change, a small amount of rides
• Any potential changes would likely happen in the fall
• General support for this change from the group
Corridor Corporate Games
• Coming soon
• Activities to promote health; contact Jessie Hinrichs if you have any questions
Last meeting of the semester
• Last meeting for Kris Halter and Dr. Fuller, both have been members since 2013
Meeting adjourned at 5:02pm