December 10, 2014 Meeting


Wednesday, December 10, 2014


Parking and Transportation Committee Meeting Agenda

Wednesday, December 10, 2014

3:30-5:00 p.m.

West Campus Transportation Center, room 220


  1. CAMBUS Service Update
  2. Employee Orientation
  3. Bicycle Master Plan/Bicycle Safety Plan
  4. Project Updates
    1. Hospital Ramp 2
    2. Zipcar Contract
    3. PBDB CAMBUS Stop
    4. New Residence Hall
    5. Hancher Parking Lot
  5. Campus Tour; confirm attendance for tour next semester


Parking and Transportation Committee

Meeting Minutes


Members Present:                              John Fuller, Kris Halter, Andrew Lynch, Joyce Murphy and Jason Rantanen

Staff/Others Present:                          Mary Jane Beach, Patrick Bigsby, Cynthia Fairchild, Sara Puffer, Dave Ricketts, Jim Sayre and Carrie Brus

Members/Staff Absent:                      Andrew Fiszer, Paul Hanley, Nicole Hodous, Brian McClatchey and Matthew Noftsger

Meeting called to order at 3:32pm.  There are some new faces at the table, so introductions were made.

CAMBUS Staffing and Service Levels

• Due to staffing issues during the Fall Semester some service was suspended.  One Red Route, One Blue Route and the Hawkeye Express Route were pulled.  All three have been reinstated as of December 1.  CAMBUS was able to discontinue the service to Hawks Ridge since it is no longer leased by the University.  The Lot 49 Shuttle is no longer operated by CAMBUS due to the permanent crosswalk installed on Melrose Avenue.

• Staffing Issues

• A significant number of students did not return for the Fall Semester

• Attempts to seek out job applicants proved to be a slow effort

• No interested applicants were coming in the door

• Utilizing some new methods of advertising to attract more applicants

• Touch the Bus: put a bus downtown; staff with a CAMBUS staff member to answer questions

• Advertise through Facebook

• Working our way back now

• Training is a long process making the return a slower process than desired

• Performance Reports through Bongo

• Long loading and unloading times is an issue; Red and Blue Routes especially

• Consider loading through the back door?

• No.  Loading through the back door is a safety concern.

• Buses do have wider aisles to allow for double rows of standing riders

Employee Orientation

• Draft of an Employee Orientation surfaced from a Culture Team put together almost a year ago

• Dave and Jim will make that presentation to the current full-time employees in the Parking & Transportation Department

• P & T Members are more than welcome to attend the sessions, if interested

• If you are interested in attending, please notify Carrie

• All sessions will be held in the West Campus Transportation Center, room 220

• The session dates and times are as follows:

• Thursday, January 8 at 8:30am

• Wednesday, January 14 at 8:00pm

• Saturday, January 24 at 10:00am

• Monday, January 26 at 6:00pm

• Thursday, January 29 at 1:30pm

Bicycle Master Plan

• Dr. Fuller’s class generated a starter plan for the entire campus

• The plan was submitted as part of the Bicycle Friendly University application

• The plan has been presented to the following groups for their support:

• Sustainability Committee

• Bicycle Advisory Committee

• Student Senate

• Graduate Student Senate

• The goal of presenting the plan to various groups across campus is to inform those groups about the plan and to obtain their endorsement of the plan

• Dave has some concerns based on the current version of the Bicycle Master Plan

• Bicycle racks on transit buses; CAMBUS cannot accommodate this due to a storage limitation

• Safety concerns; the plan does not address safety with relation to cars, bikes and pedestrians

• The plan needs to address bike safety; incorporate some rules of the road for bikes especially on sidewalks

• Bicycle Advisory Committee has a sub-committee to discuss these concerns

• The sub-committee will look at best practices on campus

• Generate some “Rules of the Road” to possibly add to the starter plan

• Enforcement is an issue that needs to be addressed

• Dave is generally supportive of the idea of a Bicycle Master Plan

• He does have specific issues within the current plan

• Plan was limited in its original scope

• Bicycle and Pedestrian Plan would be more meaningful

• Time to look at the others comments would be helpful

• Need a sub-group to discuss these issues

• Need to include P & T Staff, P & T Committee, Dr. Fuller

• Schedule something during Finals Week, if possible

• Andrew Lynch, Kris Halter, John Fuller, Dave Ricketts, Michelle, anyone else?

• The Bicycle Master Plan has not been presented to the Campus Planning Committee yet

Project Updates

• Hospital Ramp 2

• Project is progressing, but it is behind schedule

• Due to open sometime between July and October 2015

• Concrete strength issues have been the delay; but all issues have been resolved

• Zipcar

• Contract in place will expire in July 2015

• Taking the opportunity to renegotiate some points of the contract

• Would like to make the fee structure the same between UI and the City of Iowa City

• City participation is very low; higher fee structure than UI currently


• Bus stop at PBDB is now fully functional

• CAMBUS, Coralville and Iowa City are all using this stop

• Madison Street Residence Hall

• Power Point Presentation

• Design Build Project

• Submit Criteria for the project, but no input on the design

• Submitted criteria for a large number of bicycle parking spaces; some will be covered

• Is there a plan to resurface the sidewalks near the Chemistry Building?  Not as a part of this project

• Hancher Parking Lot

• Handouts

• Pre-Flood vs. Current Project Layouts

• Sections L & N are brand new; 205 spaces total

• Section M is an expansion option

Campus Tour

• Carrie will arrange for next semester

Motorcycle/Moped Parking was not an agenda item, but Patrick Bigsby and Sara Puffer came from the Student Appeals Committee

• Time was available to discuss

• Issues that come up frequently at Student Parking Appeals

• Double Parking

• Who gets the ticket?

• Storage

• Ideas

• Priority for off-campus students that need space

• Cap the # of permits sold

• What would the public reaction to that be?

• Dave would like to set up a brainstorming session with Jim and Sara to discuss further