Parking and Transportation Committee Meeting Agenda
Friday, March 23, 2018
West Campus Transportation Center, room 220
- Approval of Meeting Minutes, 2/23/18
- Passport Update
- Bicycle Safety near hospital; what can we do to remind bicyclists of safety?
- IRL Parking Challenges
- Student Airport Shuttle
- Parking Citation Appeals Committees
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
- Game Day Traffic Analysis Project
Parking and Transportation Committee
Members Present: John Fuller, Kris Halter, Connor Krajicek, Doug Moore, Scott Roberts, Gustave Stewart, Tavian Stillwell and June Tai
Staff/Others Present: Jim Sayre, Erin Shane, Jim Stoner and Carrie Brus
Members/Staff Absent: Jessie Hinrichs, Kathy Lavezzo and Brian McClatchey
Meeting begins at 3:32pm. Meeting minutes were approved by the committee as presented.
Employee Travel to Work Survey
• Really good response; not prepared to talk about it yet
• Review the data; will discuss more in the future
• Funds received
• 51% via the Passport app
• Seems to be very student driven based on the meter locations
• Not sure on the usage by the City of Iowa City
• Pilot program to validate parking sessions
• University Libraries
• Will try that out
• Able to reduce coin collection activities from parking meters
• More opportunities in the future as Passport grows
• Brought up by someone at UIHC
• Commuter who walks to work
• Having issues with bicycle traffic
• Some ideas:
• Internal marketing campaign within Parking and Transportation
• Include other groups to push information out
• What would actually make a difference?
• Is there any evidence to support training/signage?
• Is riding your bicycle on the sidewalk permitted? Yes, other than the downtown area.
• Reach out to the researcher on campus who is looking at bicycle safety
IRL Parking Challenges
• Ramp next to the IRL facility
• Free parking for patients
• Employees pay to park there
• City of Coralville began screening to protect retail space
• Those employees began to park in patient space
• They don't have enough patient space
• Retail boom at IRL, additional UIHC expansion
• No additional parking
• Looking into some space in the Coralville Intermodal Facility at IRL for employees
• Would the pricing structure be different at this location?
Student Airport Shuttle
• UISG funded a shuttle from IMU to Cedar Rapids Airport
• Thanksgiving, Winter break, Spring break, end of classes
• Expensive arrangement for students
• Fixed departures
• UISG will continue to fund this project for now
• Students change every year that would handle this project
• Parking and Transportation has agreed to manage the process in the future
• Exploring a new vendor to provide a demand-response service
• No arrangements have been made at this time; working toward that
• Looking for information and asking questions right now
• Would a deposit be required?
• Would students make their own arrangements? Vendor like Uber or Lyft.
• Would this apply to graduate students as well? Yes it would.
Parking Citation Appeals Committee
• Faculty/Staff Appeals Committee
• Meet monthly
• Provide basic instructions
• Decisions are up to the committee
• Appointments are made by Staff Council and Faculty Senate
• Majority of appeals are from tickets that originate from employees parking in patient facilities
• Student Citation Appeals Committee
• Meet monthly
• Significant time commitment for those members
• Can appear in person to make your case for both groups; rarely done
Electric Vehicle Charging Stations
• Issued RFP (with City)
• Awarded contract
• Locations in mind
• Hawkeye Commuter Lot
• Hospital Parking Ramp
• Newton Road Ramp
• City locations in addition
• Statewide network; quick charger
• Grant process for funding
• Where should they really go?
• Level One charging stations; very long, at least eight hours
• Level Two charging stations; couple of hours
• Level Three charging stations; very quick
• Spaces could sit empty
• How do we support this?
• Should it be a prime space?
• We can charge for the parking
• We cannot charge for the power
• We can have as many or as few as we would like
• We purchase the hardware
• Vendor manages the account
• Charge frequency depends on the vehicle and travel distance
• Continue to receive requests for charging stations
• Rapid changing technology
• Public facilities? Pay by the hour.
• Commuter facilities, park all day?
• Try it out, see what happens.
• Support for placement in public facilities
Game Day Traffic Analysis
• College of Business faculty member, Xun Zhou
• Research focus is spacial big data
• Football game day traffic during 2018 football season
• Mutual benefit with Iowa City and MPOJC
• Kickoff has yet to happen
Future agenda items; any personal interests?
• Snow Removal efforts; make a future presentation
• Snow melter?
Meeting adjourned at 4:48pm