Parking and Transportation Committee Meeting Agenda
Thursday, October 29, 2015
West Campus Transportation Center, room 220
- Approval of Meeting Minutes, 10/1/15
- CAMBUS Service Updates
- Research Park Expansion
- West Dorm Shuttle
- Campus Project Updates
- East Campus Residence Hall
- Reconstruction of Hawkins Drive
- Downtown Traffic Study
- Pedestrian Accident at Hawkins Drive and South Hospital Drive
- Safety Barrier Study
- Opening of Hospital Ramp 2
- Cashiering Changes
- Zipcar Expansion
- Bike Share
- Motorcycle Parking Changes at Newton Road Ramp and Library Lot
- Storage Parking
- Finkbine Utility Projects
- Cashiering Cameras
- New Gates/Bikes
- Moving back displaced employees
- Campus Tour
- Next Meeting, December 3
Parking and Transportation Committee
Members Present: Ryan Dusil, John Fuller, Kris Halter, Nicole Hodous, Doug Moore, Jason Rantanen, Marianne Smith and Matt Van Hoeck
Staff/Others Present: David Jepsen, Dave Ricketts, Greg Schmitt and Carrie Brus
Members/Staff Absent: Brian McClatchey, Jim Sayre, Grant Shirts and Debby Zumbach
Meeting began at 3:03pm. As this meeting happens, there is an Open House for Hospital Parking Ramp 2 in progress.
Dave started the introductions as we have some new members in the room for the first time.
Campus Project Updates
• Madison Street Residence Hall
• Under construction right now, progressing along
• Anticipated to open in Fall 2017 with approximately 1,000 beds
• The finished project will have a significant pedestrian effect
• Hawkins Drive Reconstruction
• Initial scope to include Elliott Drive down to Highway 6 (the Coralville Strip)
• Project will begin next year and the scope will include Finkbine Drive (access point to Lot 65) to Highway 6
• Downtown Traffic Study
• Just received the final results
• Will invite Kent Ralston at the MPOJC back to discuss further
• Pedestrian Accident at Hawkins and South Hospital Drives
• MPOJC has reviewed the intersection
• Quick improvements to that intersection have been made
• General safety discussion took place among the group; some concerns brought up are as follows:
• Pedestrian concerns; are pedestrians aware of their surroundings?
• Could we implement additional lighted crosswalks to improve safety?
• What are the traffic patterns of other accidents involving pedestrians?
• Consult with Public Safety to obtain some data
• Facilities Management is set to begin a study on movement
• Could this become a segment at Orientation?
• Could enforcement in selected areas become a possibility?
• Structural improvements vs. Changing Behavior
• How do we move this discussion along?
• Survey peers?
• Talk to other units across campus?
• Safety Barrier Study
• Suicide Attempt Prevention Measure
• Options for Parking Ramps on campus
• Hospital Ramp 2
• Open House is currently happening
• Official opening date is unknown
• UI Children’s Hospital has an approximate open date of January 2017
• Cashiering Changes
• Operational changes
• All cashiers now wear uniforms (blue polo shirts)
• Zipcar Expansion
• Temporary expansion through December 2015
• An additional car at Newton Road Ramp and at Hillcrest
• Current inventory including the temporary expansion and Iowa City locations:
• Newton Road Ramp (3)
• Hillcrest (2)
• Burge Hall/Clinton Street (2)
• Linn Street/Iowa City Public Library (2)
• Bike Share Program
• Joint program with City of Iowa City
• RFP out there to put program on campus
• Hope is for full implementation of the program by Fall 2016
• Program sponsored by Bicycle Advisory Committee and the Office of Sustainability
• Motorcycle Parking Changes
• Newton Road Ramp
• Added about 50 extra spots; currently being utilized
• Library Lot
• Full gate arms don’t allow for entry space
• Relocated motorcycle parking to the south end
• Popular destination for motorcycles
• New Library Commons has increased traffic to this parking location
• City of Iowa City now processes motorcycle permits
• Is there any cross registration potential with City of Iowa City?
• Implementation of LED Lighting on campus
• Newton Road Ramp is the first location that has been retrofitted
• Hospital Ramp 3 and Lot 21 are up next
• Storage Parking at Hawkeye Commuter
• Historically, permits have been on the decline
• The last two years the permit activity has been climbing
• Finkbine Utility Projects
• Current Project
• Consolidated facility for emergency power for the UIHC Children’s Hospital
• Future Project
• West Campus Energy Plant
• In response to 2008 Flood
• Need emergency power on the west campus in case of another flood
• Moving back displaced employees
• Pedestrian access at Rienow Hall
• Working through issues with Housing and UIPD to improve pedestrian pathways at this location
• Could we improve lighting at this location?
• Some concerns when it is dark outside
• UIHC Shared Services Building (SSB)
• Moving about 1,000 people out to Research Park
• All staff are non-medical personnel
• Parking facility would accommodate about 1,000 spaces
• Greg Schmitt, CAMBUS Operations Supervisor
• CAMBUS has been asked to expand the Research Park service to assist in this move
• Research Park route is a 12.2 mile round trip for CAMBUS
• Expanded service would add one CAMBUS and create 30-minute service to this location
• Some questions raised:
• Is there potential for a commuter lot?
• What about the future expansion of this area?
• What is the potential for rail?
• What about Forevergreen Road and a future connection to I-380?
• West Dorm Shuttle
• Route created when Petersen Hall opened
• Added about 500 beds/students to the west side dorms
• Route starts at the West Dorms and goes to the Pentacrest and back
• Supplement to current service to absorb the additional demand
• The timing of this route is crucial so it can absorb the overload that would normally get on other buses at this location
• What topics would you like us to discuss the remainder of the academic year?
• Please send any ideas to the chair
• Some that were mentioned today
• Electric Bicycle
• Changes in Cashiering
• Cameras in Cashiered Facilities
Campus Tour--working through the details to schedule
Meeting Minutes from last time--Minutes were approved as submitted
Meeting adjourned at 4:34pm