September 21, 2018 Meeting

Date: 

Friday, September 21, 2018

Agenda: 

Parking and Transportation Committee Meeting Agenda

Friday, September 21, 2018

3:00pm-4:30pm

West Campus Transportation Center, room 220

 

  1. Projects update
  2. Long term planning goals and objectives
  3. Student Assistantship introduction
  4. Institutional Roads
  5. 2018-2019 Parking Permit Sales Update
    1. Motorcycles
    2. Students
    3. Bus Passes
    4. Employees
  6. FY18 Financial Year End Close
  7. Committee Charter and Discussion
  8. Next meeting

 

Minutes: 

Parking and Transportation Committee

Meeting Minutes

9/21/18

 

Members Present:              Eden Dewald, Armando Duarte, John Fuller, Kris Halter, Jessie Hinrichs, Ioannis Koutsonikolis, June Tai, Austin Wu,
                                                Kevin Zihlman

Staff/Others Present:         Hossain Mohiuddin, Jim Sayre, Erin Shane, Lori Skoff, Jim Stoner and Carrie Brus  

Members/Staff Absent:     Brian McClatchey and Debby Zumbach

 

Meeting begins at 3:03pm

Introductions

Committee members should feel free to request agenda items

Long-term planning goals and objectives

• Handout

• Campus Planning

• Master Planning process of which Parking and Transportation is involved

• Working through some challenges

• How to address those challenges?

• What are the priorities?

• Does the committee have any concerns/feedback?

• Off-campus facilities

• HSSB, IRL, etc

• Conversations take place about parking arrangements; consultant role

• Parking sells permits for both locations

    Employee Van Pool Program

    • 40th Anniversary celebration

    • Went through an internal review; should we outsource the van pool program?

    • Received one bid from Enterprise

    • Bid came back, much higher cost than our current internal program

      Student Assistantship

      • Hossain Mohiuddin

      • Graduate student, Urban and Regional Planning

      • Current projects

      • Transit needs in high density areas

      • Motorcycle Parking

      • Utilization of GIS programs to facilitate these projects

      • Analyze from an outside perspective; provide recommendations for discussion

      Institutional Roads

      • Parking and Transportation will take over ownership of Institutional Roads; not sure when the switch will happen

      • How will we handle the logistics?

        Parking Permit Sales

        • Handout

        • Motorcycles—overall increase of 14% in the last year; mainly coming from the student population

        • Dual permit with vehicle/motorcycle

        • Student permits

        • Storage permits are down from this time last year; sales tend to fluctuate throughout the year

        • Hancher—sales are up 10%; taking advantage of additional space

        • Night and Weekend—additional demand for Lot 11 due to the high-rise going up at Burlington/Madison

        • UPASS (Bus Pass)—sales are up 6%

        • Employee Parking has remained relatively consistent

          FY18 Financial Year End Close

          • Handout; Jim talked the group through the financials

            Project Updates

            Gateway Project is coming to a close

            • Huge impact to CAMBUS

            • Ribbon Cutting on October 16

            Breckenridge Apartments

            • North of Lot 36

            Hospital Ramp 4

            • Wayfinding Signage; color-coded directional signage that is placed on the ramp floors

            Ramp Modifications

            • Hospital Ramp 4 and Newton Road Ramp

            • Installation of safety barriers as a method of prevention

            Lot 55 Reconstruction

            • Rebuild sections to concrete and the installation of LED Lighting

            Lot 65 Reconstruction

            • Realignment of west section, dedicated pedestrian sidewalks and the installation of LED Lighting

            • Increased capacity by about 70 spaces

            CAMBUS Maintenance Facility

            • Renovation/upgrade

            • Garage door replacement

            • Update the exterior façade

            • Remodel the floor plan

            • Larger break room, locker room, additional restroom, office and storage

            • Project put on hold due to the Capital Projects Moratorium

            • Moratorium has been lifted and this project will move forward

            • Able to get the grant extended

            Upcoming Projects

            • LED upgrades for surface lots

            • Ramp Maintenance

            • Surface Lot Maintenance

            • Lot 14 Reconstruction

            • Continue to reconstruct sections of Lot 55

            • LED Upgrade for Hospital Ramp 1

            • Surveillance cameras at pay stations

            • Hawkeye Transit Station; different design than the original plan

              Committee Charter

              • Members seek feedback

              • Bring any feedback to the group

              • Agenda items

              • Feel free to send ideas/questions to Kris, Jim or Carrie

                MPOJC

                • Rails to Trails Study

                • Impact of autonomous vehicles

                • Impact to CAMBUS

                    Bicycle Master Plan

                    • High-level draft format right now

                      Bike Share

                      • Evaluation of three companies

                      • Request to send sample bikes

                      • Discussion whether or not to use electric bicycles/scooters

                      • Need to get started with a program; hopeful to begin soon

                        Meeting adjourned at 4:20pm

                        Next meeting is Friday, October 12 at 3pm