Fleet Services Newsletter, April 2018

Fleet Services Newsletter

April 2018

Fuel Reimbursements

When fueling outside the Iowa City/ Coralville area, you should always use the WEX fuel card to purchase fuel, but we understand that sometimes you have to use your personal card. When a personal card is used, we will reimburse for the fuel purchase. To submit a reimbursement we need the following information: the license plate number of the fueled vehicle, the purchaser’s home address, and a copy of the receipt. If fuel is pre-paid, make sure to note how many gallons you purchased, as the receipt will not have that information included. Do not use your p-card to purchase fuel! Fuel is not an approved purchase, so your paycheck will be deducted for the transaction. If you ever have any questions about purchasing fuel or a reimbursement, please give our office a call at (319) 384-0564.

 

Saturday Hours

With the school year ending, we will no longer have Saturday hours after May 5. Any weekend vehicle reservations will need to be submitted with a pick up for Friday, between the hours of 4 p.m. and 6 p.m. The charges will be delayed to the time you indicate in the notes section of the requisition.

For Daily Rental Reservations, Timing is Critical

We greatly rely on the pickup and return time that is listed on each requisition, especially during our busy times. A vehicle may return at 5 p.m. and go back out five minutes later. When you submit a requisition for a vehicle, please be as close to the pickup and return times as possible. If a vehicle is listed to go out at 9 a.m. and is not picked up until 4 p.m., which is several hours we are not using that vehicle when we could be. If something changes and you need to update the pickup or return time, just call and let us know. It is easier for us to make adjustments if we know about them ahead of time.

 

Deb’s Safety Corner: Follow Me…from a Distance

One of the most common accident types reported by UI drivers is rear-end collisions.  The best way to avoid colliding with the vehicle in front of you is to maintain a safe following distance.  3 seconds is the standard rule in ideal driving conditions and 6-10 seconds is a good rule for poor weather situations.

 

FUEL CARDS ARE EXPIRING!!

You may have noticed that the expiration date on your Wright Express fuel card is at the end of May.  We have received the new cards and will replace the old cards beginning Tuesday, May 1.  Please bring your old card to our office in order to be issued a new card.   If your drivers are based outside of Iowa City, please call our office to arrange exchanging those cards. 

 

How to Escape A Sinking Vehicle

According to the Centers for Disease Control, “each year 350-400 Americans drown in submerged vehicles.” To be prepared to escape a sinking vehicle, follow these tips:

  • Do not panic
  • Act fast and don’t reach for your phone or belongings, as time is of the essence
  • Remember POGO and do it –Pop the seatbelt, Open the Window, Get Out and swim to the surface

“When opening the window, the electrical system should continue to work until the car is fully submerged, if not longer. If you cannot roll the window down, aim for the center and use your heel, a key, or sharp object to crack the window and shatter it. You should only exit through the door as a last resort. Wait until the car is fully submerged to open the door, as the water pressure inside and outside of the vehicle is equalized.”

 

Fleet Factoid

Over a ten month period Geotab collected data, “finding that 29% of accidents happened within one minute of the driver reaching the maximum speed during their trip. The remaining 71% of accidents occurred within the first 10 minutes of reaching maximum speed.”

 

Fleet Services Info

Manager: Mike Wilson

Phone: (319) 384-0564

Fax: (319) 335-5865

Hours: 7:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.  Monday-Friday 

Fall and spring only: 8:00 a.m. -  11:00 a.m. Saturday

Shop Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.  Monday-Friday

Shop Phone: (319) 335-5102

Fueling Hours: 24 hours/ 7 days a week

E-mail: Fleet-Services@uiowa.edu

Web Site: http://transportation.uiowa.edu/university-vehicles