Fleet Services Newsletter
Spring Break Reservations Are in Full Swing!!
Spring Break is one of our busier times of the year. If your department is planning a trip during this time period please get your requisition in as soon as possible. A couple of our vehicle classes are already booked solid so don’t wait!!
For those of you who have submitted requisitions already, please make sure your student drivers get their training done ASAP. Most trips require multiple drivers so don’t let the trip get cancelled because there are not enough qualified drivers!!
Fleet Services Hours During Spring Break
We will be operating under our normal hours during Spring Break with the exception of Saturday, March 14 and Saturday, March 21. We will be closed both of those Saturdays. So if your trip begins after we close on Friday, pick-up your vehicle on Friday after 4 pm and we will not start your charges until your trip begins. Please note the trip start time in the requisition comments field.
Vehicle Sale Season is Beginning!!
Our new vehicles have been ordered and some are already here. That means we’ll be selling our old vehicles. Now is the time to start checking the Surplus E-bay store if you are looking for a vehicle. Here is the website: http://stores.ebay.com/University-of-Iowa-Surplus.
We currently have a 15-passenger van listed and a minivan that will soon be listed. We’ll have more mini vans listed in the near future as well as another 15-passenger van. In several weeks we’ll have a much wider selection.
What To do If You See a Drunk Driver
The following is from an article in Automotive Fleet Magazine. The tips are from Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD).
- First, stay as far away from the other vehicle as possible.
- Second, do not try to pass the vehicle or signal the driver to pull over. Doing so could result in a collision.
- Third, take notice of the license plate number, along with details of the vehicle including make, model and color. However, make sure you don’t compromise your own safety trying to obtain this information.
- Finally, pull over and call 911. Give the exact location of the vehicle, including the name of the road or cross streets and the direction the vehicle is traveling. Give a complete description of the vehicle and the manner in which it is being driven. Then leave the rest up to law enforcement.
- The full article from Automotive Fleet has tips for spotting a drunk driver complete with video.
Using an On-Ramp to Safely Enter the Interstate
One of the most challenging driving tasks is to merge onto an Interstate. This article from Automotive Fleet has some tips on merging and a short video that demonstrates some of these tips.
Does Your Program Need Vehicles for Summer?
Typically the vehicles we assign for summer programs are vehicles that we hold back from sale. If your program needs a vehicle for summer, please let us know ASAP so that we can plan the appropriate number of vehicles to meet your temporary vehicle needs.
Fleet Services Factoid
Did you know that during winter you can get the best price on used cars? Spring and summer are the most expensive time to buy used cars.
Fleet Services Info
Manager: Mike Wilson
Phone: (319) 384-0564
Fax: (319) 335-5865
Hours: 7:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Fall and Spring only: 8:00 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday
Shop Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Shop Phone: (319) 335-5102
Fueling Hours: 24 hours/ 7 days a week