Fleet Services Newsletter
Fuel Card Information Reminder
Here are a couple of helpful reminders regarding the Fleet Services fuel card.
- Most cards will not work in the Iowa City/Coralville area. When your vehicle or piece of equipment needs fuel, you must get it at our fuel island.
- If you have special fuel requirements and need the card to work in the Iowa City/Coralville area please give our office a call to discuss.
- The fuel island is open 24 hours a day, 7-days a week. It is at the corner of Prentiss and Madison Streets.
- Each time you use the fuel card, you will be asked for a Driver ID or PIN. The number is 4 followed by the last 4 digits of the vehicle license plate followed by a 5.
- So, if your license plate is 8500, your driver ID would be 485005. If your vehicle license plate is 10075, the Driver ID would be 400755.
- Select the cheapest fuel available. If the vehicle uses E85, choose E85. Please do not buy premium diesel or premium gasoline. The higher priced fuel does not perform any differently in any of the vehicles we drive.
Do Your Drivers Need Additional Training?
If you believe your drivers could benefit from additional training please let us know. We have many options for on-line training that could be beneficial. Some topics are: Cell Phone & Texting Distractions, Driving and Adverse Weather, EcoDriving Techniques, Emotions and Driving. For medium duty trucks there are some specialized classes such as Intersections and Right of Way, Proactive Driving, Speed Management, and Vehicle Backing Safety. Other specialized classes include Cargo Van Safety, and Low Speed Vehicle Safety. Each class is $6, and is taken on-line at the driver’s convenience.
Spring Break Reservations Are in Full Swing!!
Spring Break is one of our busier times of the year. If your department is planning a trip during this time period please get your requisition in as soon as possible. A couple of our vehicle classes are already booked solid so don’t wait!! For those of you who have submitted requisitions already, please make sure your student drivers get their training done ASAP. Most trips require multiple drivers so don’t let the trip get canceled because there are not enough qualified drivers!!
Fleet Services Hours During Spring Break
We will be operating under our normal hours during Spring Break with the exception of Saturday, March 12 and Saturday March 19. We will be closed both of those Saturdays. So if your trip begins after we close on Friday, pick-up your vehicle on Friday after 4 pm and we will not start charges until your trip begins. Please note the trip start time in the requisition comments field.
Does Your Program Need Vehicles for Summer?
If your program needs a vehicle for summer, please let us know ASAP so that we can plan the appropriate number of vehicles to meet your temporary vehicle needs.
Fleet Services Factoid
When you got this email from me, did you notice that there are some initials (CAFM) after my name? Those stand for Certified Automotive Fleet Manager. Our Assistant Manager, Deb Lorenz is also certified by the National Private Truck Council. Additionally, each of our Shop Technicians has 10 ASE certifications.
Fleet Services Info
Manager: Mike Wilson
Phone: (319) 384-0564
Fax: (319) 335-5865
Hours: 7:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Fall and spring only: 8:00 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday
Shop Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Shop Phone: (319) 335-5102
Fueling Hours: 24 hours/ 7 days a week