Fleet Services Newsletter
If you have recently had your vehicle in the shop for maintenance, you probably saw that orange hang tag on the rearview mirror. These tags are our Shop Surveys and we want you to fill them out. It is a quick survey with five questions regarding your satisfaction with our service. You don’t even need a campus envelope to mail it; just tear off the hanger and place the tag in your outgoing campus mail. We read each one and like getting your input on how we are doing.
Avoiding Rear-End Crashes
The Wisconsin Department of Transportation has this advice for maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles to reduce the chance of a rear-end crash:
- Keep a steady speed and signal in advance before turning
- If you need to stop, find a safe place out of the way of traffic
- When parallel parking, put on your turn signal and pull next to the space
- If you are driving slower than the rest of traffic on a multi-lane road, move to the right lane
- Do not slow down quickly to discourage a tailgater. It will increase your chance of being hit
Check out this quick video on how to avoid a rear-end crash.
Take Your Keys With You
Vehicle theft happens. It even happens to University vehicles. Which is why we can’t stress enough to lock your vehicle and take the keys with you when you get out. Don’t give thieves the opportunity to steal your vehicle.
Do You Want To End the Lease on an Assigned Vehicle?
It may be possible to end the lease of your vehicle before the end of its life if we can transfer your vehicle to another customer. To discuss this opportunity, Mike needs to hear from you ASAP. He begins ordering new vehicles in November so he needs to make any lease changes before new vehicles are ordered. If you wish to discuss your vehicle lease, please call Mike at (319) 384-0564.
Deb’s Safety Corner: Like a Deer in Headlights!
It’s that time of year when the deer jump out of ditches or from behind trees and target your UI vehicle – at least it seems that way. Be alert for road signs indicating areas common for animals crossing. Activity increases at night so don’t be surprised to see that deer in headlights, slow down, and be alert so you can react in a safe way.
Defensive Driving Price Change
ARI, our online course provider, has recently raised the cost of the defensive driving course. The course, previously $6.00/person is now $10.50/person. Any drivers registered for the defensive driving course on or after 10/1/2017 will be charged $10.50. Maxi-van training and trailer training will still be $6.00/person.
Fall Driving Tips
With the Fall season upon us, there are changes all around that can affect our driving. Below are a few tips to keep you safe on the road this season.
- Wet leaves can be as slippery as ice; make sure to slow down as you drive through them
- Leaves can also obscure lane lines. Pay attention and stay in your lane
- The first 15-45 minutes after sunrise and before sunset can make it difficult to see. Keep a pair of sunglasses on hand and keep your windshield clean to help see the road
- Keep a safe distance from the car in front of you when it’s raining
- When the temperatures drop, frost can leave icy patches on bridges and overpasses. Be sure to slow down
- Before leaving work, give your eyes time to adjust to the dark
- As the temperature gets lower at night, your tire pressure light may come on. If this happens, fill the tire up with our air hose and gauge, located at the southwest corner of the CAMBUS barn. If the light comes on again, call the shop so we can take a look at the tire
Fleet Services Info
Manager: Mike Wilson
Phone: (319) 384-0564
Fax: (319) 335-5865
Hours: 7:00 a.m.–6:00 p.m. Monday-Friday
Fall and spring only: 8:00 a.m. - 11 a.m. Saturday
Shop Hours: 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Monday-Friday
Shop Phone: (319) 335-5102
Fueling Hours: 24 hours/ 7 days a week