Terms of Service – Van Pool Member Agreement
The University of Iowa Van Pool Program is a ridesharing arrangement between the University of Iowa, authorized program drivers and riders. The program is designed to reduce demand for employee parking on campus by offering faculty and staff an alternative to driving alone to work. The University agrees to furnish the use of a passenger van for the purpose of commuting to work and to assist in forming and maintaining the van pool.
If you elect to participate in the Van Pool Program, you agree to:
- Conduct yourself in a professional and civil manner.
- Wear safety belts properly at all times while occupying the van. Seat yourself in a manner that facilitates passenger loading and unloading or accommodates special consideration for physical limitations with the understanding seats on the van are not reserved.
- Abide by daily operational practices as established by the driver and in some cases majority vote of members. The driver determines the route and schedule subject to the approval of the University. Daily operational practices are subject to the approval of the University.
- Abide by the van pool’s scheduled departure time. Van pools may not leave prior to their scheduled departure time, unless all members agree and have received authorization from their supervisor to leave early or are able to arrange for other transportation. (Refer to the University’s policy on Extreme Weather Protocol and General Policy on Absences).
- Notify the driver in advance whenever you will not be riding the van (i.e. vacation, sick leave) or if unable to meet the van’s scheduled pickup time. In order to maintain a schedule, the van is only required to wait three minutes beyond the designated departure time for a late passenger. Passengers are responsible for arranging other means of transportation if they are unable to meet the van’s schedule for a particular day. No reimbursement of van pool fees will be given on those days.
- Maintain a fragrance-free van pool in consideration of individuals with chemical sensitivities.
- Help the driver fulfill their administrative obligations, keep the van clean, assist in minimizing driving distractions, and provide reasonable assistance when necessary.
- Understand the driver is a volunteer driver for the van pool and may need backup drivers to drive the van on days they are unable to drive. Passengers are encouraged to become approved backup drivers to help the van continue to operate in the driver’s absence.
- Help recruit additional passengers for the van pool.
- Fees will be adjusted consistent with the cost of program operation.
- Continue to pay fees during absences (i.e. illness, medical leave, furlough, sabbatical, vacation, etc.) to maintain your van pool membership. Fees will not be prorated if you do not ride for a period of time.
- Not use the van to carry passengers or freight for hire or for any other purpose involving pay for transportation, other than the specific purpose of the Van Pool Program. Members are not to bring any personal items of a size, quantity, or content that impact safety, access in and out of the van or other members’ comfort (i.e. luggage, large boxes, organic material, non-service animals, etc.).
- A last minute vehicle break down may necessitate resorting to personal vehicles or carpools to get to work on time. If you choose not to wait for a loaner vehicle, no reimbursement will be given for your van pool fees or commuting expenses to work on those days.
- Understand the University reserves the right to terminate van service if (a) driver and/or riders are not following University regulations; (b) issues between members cannot be resolved; (c) the van is unable to maintain the minimum participation level, (d) operating uneconomically or (e) there is not a designated primary driver.
- This agreement may be terminated (a) by either party on fourteen (14) days written notice delivered to the other party in person, by email or by mail or (b) immediately by breach by the member of the terms of this agreement. The Van Pool Program must be notified in order to stop monthly van pool fees from being charged. In addition, the University reserves the right to revoke the member’s privilege to participate in the Van Pool Program for any reason.
I have read The University of Iowa Van Pool Member Agreement and agree to be bound by its terms. I understand participation is a privilege and is not a condition or right of University employment.