The University of Iowa supports efforts to reduce congestion and curb vehicle pollution in the Iowa City area. Parking and Transportation offers or supports several transportation options to reduce the use of single occupancy vehicles by staff, faculty, students, and visitors.

multiple city and university buses travel near Pentacrest image right and downtown image left

Walk, pedal, ride, roll, share

Students are encouraged to use alternative transportation or CAMBUS rather than drive.

Student permit sales for the Fall 2024 – Spring 2025 school year begin Aug. 1, 8, and 9. View the permit sale schedule for more details

Permit Types and Rates  

Parking space on campus is limited but there are a variety of student parking options available for both permit and hourly use.

Student parking options are based on student classification (undergrad or graduate/professional) and where the student lives. All valid student permits receive a discounted rate for select parking violations.

  • Academic year permits go on sale beginning Aug. 1 and are valid starting every year on Aug. 16 through May 15 of the following year.
  • Summer permits go on sale beginning May 1 and are valid starting every year on May 16 through Aug. 15. 

Click on the statement that best describes you to show what permit options are available to you.  

Undergrad residence hall

Undergrad IC CV

Undergrad Commuter

student athlete

Please view the Student Athlete Parking Permits page for details.

Payment Options and Parking Charges

All Student parking permits are billed every fall and spring semester. The first installment is billedat the time of purchase and the second installment is billed January 1.  Summer permits bill one time for the summer session. You can choose to have the permit billed to your U-Bill or pay online while ordering your permit in the Parking Portal

If you pay with a credit card for the Fall Semester, then the Spring Semester charge will automatically go to your U-Bill (January 1) as we do not keep credit cards on file. Summer permit fees are a one time charge. 

Student U-PASSes are billed three times, at the original purchase time if ordered in the summer, then will be billed again on August 1, and January 1. 

Motorcycle and U-PASS

Note: If you are purchasing a U-PASS or motorcycle permit you will need to stop into the West Campus Transportation Center or choose to have the permit or pass mailed to you.

Using the U-PASS requires presenting the pass when entering the bus. A motorcycle permit is only valid when displayed on your motorcycle.  See the motorcycle parking page for more information.

Applying for Permits

Permit fees and bus pass costs are prorated from August 1st through July 31st.   

Once you know what permit or lot you are eligible for you can log in to the Parking Portal with your Hawk ID and password to order. Your license plate number will be your permit, so make sure to have that information available when ordering. 

Visit the Parking Portal Info page to learn more about navigating the parking portal.  

Students will receive an email confirmation once parking credentials are valid.  Parking permits take effect immediately once ordered and paid online. 


Online Parking Portal

Order bus pass or parking permit

Canceling Your Permit and Refunds

To cancel your virtual permit, you will need to complete the Cancel Permit Form. You will be charged for the permit until it is cancelled or expires.   

You will receive a refund if cancelled before the end of the semester as we prorate by half month. For example, if you cancel your permit on the 1st through the15th of the month, your final charge will only be a half-month's charge. Permits cancelled from the 16th to the end of the month will pay a full month’s charge.  

Note: To cancel a UPASS or a motorcycle permit, you will need to return the physical pass to our office.  You can either drop it off at the West Campus Transportation Center or mail it back to 840 Evashevski Drive, Iowa City, IA 52242. The refund is based on the date the pass is received in our office.  

Report a Lost or Stolen Permit, U-PASS or Access Card

If you have lost your U-PASS or Access card, complete and submit the Lost Form. The lost item will be deactivated within the next business day. You will need to stop by the Parking Office to pick up a replacement permit, U-PASS or access card. A $20 fee will apply to all replacement access cards, permits and bus passes.