Emergency Ride Home Program
University faculty and staff who participate in the UI Employee Van Pool or U-PASS programs have another option for getting home if an emergency happens. The Emergency Ride Home (ERH) program offers them the ability to get home or to daycare/school if an emergency arises. Participants can use a taxicab to go home and then can be reimbursed for the cost of the trip.
How the program works
If an emergency arises while you are at work and you rode the van pool or the bus that day, please do the following:
- Contact a taxicab company to arrange a ride. Participants must pay for the taxicab ride and then may apply for reimbursement.
- Get a receipt. Canceled checks cannot be accepted as receipts.
- Complete and sign the ERH Reimbursement Form. Contact Commuter Programs if you need a form sent to you.
- If you need assistance to complete this form, please call Commuter Programs at (319) 353-5770.
- ERH Reimbursement Form (complete online, print and return to Commuter Programs). Adobe Acrobat is required to complete.
- Send the completed reimbursement form, taxicab receipt and copy of your University Absence Report, signed by your supervisor, to:
100 West Campus Transportation Center
Iowa City, IA 52242
Who is eligible?
- A faculty or staff member employed by the University of Iowa in any capacity other than student employment or bi-weekly employment, and...
- Who is currently an enrolled member of the Employee Van Pool Program or the Employee U-Pass Program.
- Substitute riders on Van Pool are not eligible.
Appropriate requests for ERH Reimbursements
- You become sick at work and need to go home early.
- A family member becomes sick/injured and needs your assistance.
- A personal crisis occurs (i.e. death in the family, extensive property damage or loss due to natural disaster, theft, etc).
Inappropriate requests for ERH Reimbursements
- You have to work overtime or past your normal departure time.
- On-the-job injury (contact Worker's Compensation).
- Personal errands, pre-arranged appointments, non-emergency related reasons, weather conditions, vehicle malfunctions or transit service disruptions/delays. In general, any situation you know about before departing for your commute to work that would require you to leave work early.
- You need a ride to work. ERH is only valid for rides departing The University of Iowa campus.
- ERH can be used up to three times per fiscal year (July 1-June 30) and not to exceed a cumulative total of $100 in reimbursements.
- Gratuity (tip) to the taxicab driver may be included in the fare cost. Tip should be a reasonable amount not to exceed 20% of fare cost.
- Parking and Transportation is not responsible for the taxicab response time. You should confirm details when requesting the service.
- The personal emergency must arise while at work and require you to go home or to where the emergency requires your presence.
- ERH is only valid for rides initiated during your regular work hours.
- Parking and Transportation reserves the right to request verification of the participant's leave of absence. If the purpose of the ride is deemed invalid, reimbursement will not be given. Please retain receipts and collect any supporting materials you can to help us verify your request and maintain the integrity of the program. Doctor's receipts and notes from daycare centers or the fire department will do.
- The ERH Program is a privilege. Parking and Transportation reserves the right to terminate the program and/or discontinue a participant's privileges at any time. Parking and Transportation also reserves the right to change the existing program guidelines and procedures.