Night and Weekend (NW) parking privileges allow free parking for permit holders in some gated UI parking facilities during specific night and weekend hours, generally between 4:30 p.m. and 8:30 a.m. Monday – Friday and all weekend long. NW parking privileges are currently offered in all university public parking facilities and two faculty/staff-only lots. NW privileges are provided with all employee and student permits with the following exceptions: Student Residence Hall permits (Storage, Mayflower), Student free permits and Student Athletic Permits.
Parking access cards are used for NW privileges. Faculty/staff and student permits assigned to a gated facility are automatically issued a parking access card. All other access cards are issued on request. To obtain an access card, complete and submit the access card request form. Requests are processed within one business day.
Details for NW privileges vary for each facility and restrictions apply for patient parking, special events and maintenance or construction activities. Most open surface lots on campus are also free on nights and weekends, unless otherwise signed. See the Parking & Transportation Regulations for more details about NW privileges.
NW in UI Parking Facilities
The NW privilege provides free parking in the following parking facilities between 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 a.m. or 8:30 a.m. M-F, and all weekend long.
|Location / Lot||N/W Free Parking Hours*||NW Parking Restrictions**|
|Dental Patients and Visitor’s Lot||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Field House Lot||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Hospital Parking Ramp 1**||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend||Reserved for patients only Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.|
|Hospital Parking Ramp 2**||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend||Reserved for patients only Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.|
|Hospital Parking Ramp 3||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Hospital Parking Ramp 4**||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend||Reserved for patients only Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m.– 4:30 p.m.|
|IMU Parking Ramp||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Library Parking Lot, Lot 3*||4:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend||Reserved for faculty / staff and student Lot 3 permits only during business hours.|
|Parking Lot 13*||4:30 p.m. - 7:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend||Reserved for faculty / staff Lot 13 permits only during business hours.|
|Newton Road Parking Ramp||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|North Campus Parking Ramp||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Recreation Center Lot, Lot 11||4:30 p.m. - 8:30 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend|
|Pappajohn Business Building, Lot 21***||4:30 p.m. - 6:45 a.m. Mon-Fri and all weekend.||Reserved for faculty / staff Lot 21 permits only during business hours.|
|* Hourly parking charges apply outside of NW Free Parking Hours.|
|** Citations may be issued to employee vehicles when found in violation of parking restrictions.|
|*** Permits with NW privilege do not need to pay the meters/ mobile payment app in Lot 21 during NW Free Parking Hours.|
NW Restricted Facilities
NW privileges are only valid in the UI parking facilities listed above. NW privileges are not valid in:
- Faculty/staff-only lots that are controlled 24/7. These lots may be controlled by a gate that functions 24/7 or by signage.
- Hospital Parking Ramps 1, 2, and 4 are reserved for patients during weekday hours (8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday – Friday). Any vehicle registered to a university employee parking in these facilities during these hours without an appropriate permit, including those using NW privileges, may be subject to a citation and fine.
- The Family Care Center (FCC) parking lot at any time.
- Parking facilities owned and operated by the City of Iowa City. These include facilities where the University assigns permits, specifically lots 12, 62, 72 and 92.
Policies and Procedures for NW Use
- If you forget your parking access card you will be required to pay the full public rate amount.
- Exiting without your card or a transaction ticket will result in paying the applicable fees and is non-refundable up to the daily maximum charge.
- NW privileges will not work in ramps marked FULL. Do not block the lanes waiting for the ramp to open.
- If the Lot 21 entrance gate is in the down position do not pull into the lane or block the gate waiting for it to be raised.
Access Card Procedures
- When entering an approved UI parking facility, pull to a stop with the driver’s side window in line with the card reader. Present the card to the face of the reader, holding it parallel to, and no more than three inches from, the target decal on the reader surface. Hold it steady for one second. Do not wave or flash the card at the reader.
- The time and location of the entry will be noted. Use the same procedure to exit. Calculations for fees will be based on this entry and exit times.
- To utilize NW privileges, always use the card to enter or exit a UI public facility.
- Do not pull a transaction ticket upon entry and attempt to use the card when exiting. This will result in a daily maximum charge for every incident.
- Use of the card for consecutive entries without a paired exit (or consecutive exits without a paired entry) is prohibited and may result in a daily maximum charge for each incident.
- Use the card to exit when the gates are up late at night. Simply stop, present the card to the reader. Your exiting time is noted even though the gate may already be up.
- Never share, transfer or pass-back a parking access card. Each incidence will result in a daily maximum charge and is considered theft and may be prosecuted.
NW Hourly Charges in UI Parking Facilities
If you enter and exit the parking facilities listed above during designated NW hours with a valid permit and follow the procedures, there will be no hourly charges.
If you enter before 4:30 p.m. and/or exit after 8:30 a.m. on weekdays, or are parked during these business hours, you will be charged at the appropriate rate for each hour outside NW rules. Any fraction of an hour will result in a full hour of charges (61 minutes = 2 hour parking charge). Charges for early entry are calculated separately from late exiting. The charge for a lost ticket is the daily maximum. There is no charge when the recorded exit time is no more than thirty (30) minutes later than the entry time.
All parking permit and NW charges are deducted from the faculty or staff member’s paycheck on a monthly basis.
Web Review of NW use and charges
All permit holders have the ability to view a summary of their monthly parking activity and any charges on a secure web site located within the UI Employee Self Service portal under My Parking.
Faculty/Staff as Patient Parking
Patients are provided a free patient parking pass. University employees attending their health care appointment are also provided a pass for free parking. Employees attending a healthcare appointment will receive the Patient Parking Pass either at check-in for a clinic visit or at discharge for an outpatient procedure or inpatient stay.
If you are parking while attending your healthcare appointment, do no use your parking access card / NW privileges. Instead, take a parking ticket when entering the parking facility. The Patient Parking Pass works in combination with the parking ticket.
Hospital Parking Ramps 1, 2, 4, and Family Care Center are dedicated to patient and visitor parking during business hours. For more information see the Employee as Patient Parking page.