Parking and Transportation maintains a limited set of parking permits for the Graduation Medical Education (GME) program on the west campus. The allocation of permits to GME programs and their residents or fellows are determined by the GME office. Questions about program permit allocations can be directed to the Graduated Medical Education Office.
Parking and Transportation also maintains a supplemental parking program in specific facilities for GME medical residents and fellows. Details about the GME Access Card Program are listed below.
GME Access Card Program
The GME Access Card Program is a supplemental parking program intended to provide limited weekday access to parking in Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 and the Newton Road Ramp for UIHC Medical Residents and Fellows. The GME Access Card Program is an extension of employee permit parking and must be used in conjunction with an approved UI GME Parking permit. In practice the program consists of an additional programming feature on the permit-holder’s parking access card that tracks parking utilization and payroll deducts charges based on the GME Access Card Program rates.
Employees with parking assignments to other parking lots or ramps, and/or departmentally owned or managed permits, are not eligible for the GME Access Card Program. GME Parking permits are virtual so it is required to have your vehicle registered with the parking office to prevent being ticketed. The program only works with the access card which needs to be scanned in and out of the public parking facility. The GME Permit Program is only available to UIHC employees under the GME (Graduate Medical Education) program with UI employment classifications of PZ 31, 32, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55, 56, 57, 58, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67, 68, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 81, 82, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 91, and 92; or as authorized by the Director of Parking and Transportation. Qualified employees are also required to have one of the following UI GME Parking Permits assigned directly to their name on a payroll deduction basis: Lot 65, 75, 43 or NW.
The access card must always be used to enter and exit university parking facilities, even if the parking gates are raised when exiting the parking facility. Program privileges are not eligible to participants exiting a cashiered parking facility without their access card. If the access card is not used correctly it will result in a daily maximum charge for every incident.
If a vehicle has a license plate number attached to an active GME Parking Permit, Parking & Transportation will allow the vehicle to utilize Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 or Newton Road Ramp between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, M-F according to the rates and charges listed below, without being cited and fined $30 for violating the University’s “Employee in Ramp” prohibition for patient parking facilities. All remaining hours, including weekdays from 4:30 PM to 8:30 AM Monday through Friday, and all weekend long from 4:30 PM on Friday through 8:30 AM Monday are provided free of charge to those permits listed above. Up to three license plates can be registered to a GME Parking Permit, but only one of the vehicles can be parked at any given time. Only one vehicle at a time can either park in the permit’s assigned lot or in one of the ramps listed above. Simultaneous parking of multiple vehicles will result in tickets for each vehicle.
When parked in Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 or Newton Road Ramp, individuals using GME Access Card privileges, and operating a vehicle with its license plate attached to an active GME Permit, are subject to the following hourly parking rates:
- For the first 16 hours of each calendar month (used between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, M-F); parking is free.
- For hours 16 – 32, of each calendar month (used between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, M-F) parking is charged at the standard hourly rate.
- For any hours in excess of 32 within each calendar month (used between 8:30 am and 4:30 pm, M-F) parking is charged at the graduated rate.
|monthly GMe access card allowances||parking rate per hour||gme access card parking locations||hours when parking charges apply|
|0-16 hours||Free||Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 and Newton Road Ramp||8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday|
|16-32 hours||Standard Rate||Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 and Newton Road Ramp||8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday|
|32+ hours||Graduated Rate||Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 and Newton Road Ramp||8:30 a.m. through 4:30 p.m., Monday through Friday|
Examples for how GME Permit Program privileges are calculated are provided below:
|Gme Access card hours used per month||calculation||parking charge*||Notes|
|15.25||Less than 16 hours = FREE||$0.00|
|25||16 hours free
9 hours x $1.20 = $10.80
|45||16 hours free
16 hours x $1.20 = $19.20
13 hours x $3.30 = $42.90
|* All parking hours assumed during business hours. FY21 rates used for calculations.|
Fees are accrued by the hour. Every entry and exit is calculated as a unique entry and exit. Fees will be charged monthly via payroll deduction only. There will be no exchanges of cash or other payment methods at the cashier’s booth upon exiting. Charges will be two months behind (e.g., for those charges accumulated in the March example above, the payroll deduction would show on the May 1 paycheck).
Procedures for card use
- If a vehicle has a license plate number attached to an active GME Parking Permit, Parking and Transportation will allow the vehicle to use Hospital Ramp 1, Hospital Ramp 3 or Newton Road Ramp between the hours of 8:30 AM and 4:30 PM, M-F according to the rates and charges previously listed, without being cited and fined for violating the University’s “Employee in Ramp” prohibition for patient parking facilities.
- When entering an approved public parking facility, pull to a stop with the driver’s side window in line with the card reader. Present the card to the face of the reader, holding it parallel to, and no more than three inches from, the target decal on the reader surface.
- The time and location of the entry will be noted. Use the same procedure to exit. Calculations for fees will be based on these entry and exit times.
- To use GME Access Card Program privileges, participants must always use the access card to enter or exit a UI cashiered facility. Participants must be driving a vehicle with a license plate number attached to an active GME Parking Permit when parking in a public parking facility.
- Do not pull a transaction ticket upon entry and attempt to use the card when exiting. This will result in a daily maximum charge for every incident.
- Use of the card for consecutive entries without a paired exit (or consecutive exits without a paired entry) is prohibited and may result in a daily maximum charge for each incident.
- Use the card to exit when the gates are up late at night. Simply stop, present the card to the reader. Your exiting time is noted even though the gate does not respond.
- Never share, transfer or pass-back a parking access card. Each incidence will result in a daily maximum charge and is considered theft.
- If you forget your card you will be required to pay the full cashiered amount. Exiting through a cashier without your card or a transaction ticket will result in a $20 charge.
- Employees can monitor any accumulated fees through Employee Self-Service. To access this information, log in to Self-Service. Select “My Parking” then “Review My Parking Transactions.”